Ironwoman MIA

I've been a little bit pre-occupied and haven't blogged in quite a while - so sorry! A LOT has happened since last time I blogged, so let me bring you up to speed. I am no longer "Boston Bound". Here is why... I signed up for a triathlon instead and am going to focus on that. This is no triathlon, it is THE triathlon. I will walk you through how this all happened. I had been looking at triathlon bikes and really wanting one. I actually found an amazing tri bike a couple of weeks ago. It was my size, it was a great deal and it was the last one left! TJ swooped in like a price charming and bought the bike for me! See the picture below:


This bike is FAST, full carbon fiber and the highest end 'components' you could have. Some of the pro triathletes ride this bike. It is a women's specific frame made by Quintana Roo, they specialize in triathlon bikes only. After receiving this bike I was goofing around online and noticed that Ironman Coeur d' Alene was still open for sign-ups. This was six days after the race... the race NEVER stays open that long it always sells out before then. So, I figured it was a sign. I must do it, so I signed up (washing $600 away with just one 'click'... gulp). I nearly crapped myself after I did it, but it was too late. The money was spent and I couldn't get it back.

Next year on June 28th I will compete in an Ironman (and finish :). This is a race I have always wanted to do but I couldn't commit the time or finances. This year I figured what the heck... it's now or never. I am nervous, but I am excited more so. I don't start my official training until November, but I am still working out between now and then. I just don't have as much structure. I will be focusing on my swim stroke and getting in some outdoor swimming in a wetsuit (yes, I ended up buying one of these too and they aren't cheap!). I have been riding my bike as often as possible and throwing in some running here and there. I will also be working on strength training through the end of this year. The stronger I can go into next year the better, it will only help my training leading up to the race. So there you have it... I am going to become an Ironwoman! To get there I need to finish the following in less than 17 hours...

2 1/4 mile swim in open water
112 mile bike ride
26.2 mile run (yes, that is a full marathon)

I don't really have a time goal, although I would kind of like to finish in 14 hours or under because I would like to finish while the sun is still up. I will keep you 'posted' (no pun intended).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I have been athletic ALL of my life, I think at this point it would be safe to say its in my DNA. I have played many competitive sports (volleyball, basketball, track), have played recreationally (soccer, softball) and have been working out since I was in 4th grade. I started lifting in 7th grade - yes, was even starting to learn the full on olympic lifts. I now enjoy running, hiking, skiing, hangin out at the lake and just being active. I have run a couple of marathons, and recently competed in my first figure show. I am not sure what the future holds for me with regards to my "exercise adventures" but I look forward to finding out...