Highway to the "bender" zone...

Last night I was on a fast track, a highway to the danger zone. I got a call from TJ around 1:30 that he had hurt his ankle playing basketball, I could tell in his voice that he was in a lot of pain. I left work and took him to urgent care, we were there for a couple of hours getting x-rays, etc. On the way home I stopped to fill his prescription, and while I was waiting I bought him some snacks. It brought back so many memories of the times that I had sprained my ankle and was given "treats" to make it feel better while I healed up. Talked about emotional enlightenment! This is truly emotional eating! I got some things for TJ and then I got many things for myself (you woulda thought I was the one with the hurt ankle). Of course all of my treats were sugar free, and the over consumption of these treats lead to the dismay of my stomach last night as I laid curled up in my bed trying to "just sleep it off". I was stuffed like a rotisserie pig and to be honest, was turning over and over and over in my bed like one to the discomfort of overeating sugar free snacks. The sad thing is that as I gobbled up these items I said to myself, "self, I really hope you pay the price for this". Well, the sugar free fairy made good on that.

This morning I woke up and thought... geez! I feel like I am on the Biggest Loser and I just lost a food challenge. I wish Jillian was here to scream in my face and get me to break down and start crying to explain why I had this emotional reaction to TJ getting hurt. Food is comfort, we all know that. I think food is actually more like a drug for most of us. You can use it to console you when you are down, you can use it to celebrate, you can use it when you are bored, etc. Doesn't this sound like alcohol... weird! All I know is that I have never seen a figure competitor 'publish' their diet and show a long list of sugar free junk foods as their main staples... it's time to get my mind right, stop succumbing to my guilty palate pleasures and eat like an athlete. If I want to do well, which I DO - then, I have to turn this super tanker around...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I have been athletic ALL of my life, I think at this point it would be safe to say its in my DNA. I have played many competitive sports (volleyball, basketball, track), have played recreationally (soccer, softball) and have been working out since I was in 4th grade. I started lifting in 7th grade - yes, was even starting to learn the full on olympic lifts. I now enjoy running, hiking, skiing, hangin out at the lake and just being active. I have run a couple of marathons, and recently competed in my first figure show. I am not sure what the future holds for me with regards to my "exercise adventures" but I look forward to finding out...