Bloomies unite!

Well, Bloomsday weekend just passed. This is the largest road race... approx. 51,000 people finished the race this year - that's a crapload of people! I ran Bloomsday this year, the Y had a corporate cup team. I didn't know how my body would respond to running a race of this distance (it is a 12K, 7.46 miles) in lieu of my past few months training and diet regimen. My past few months have consisted of a workout that one would not consider "runner friendly"~ lack of carbs being the major culprit. However, I was pleasantly surprised, I had a good race. My Garmin clocked me at 59'36" (my official race time on the website was listed as 59'49" or something like that). I will go with my Garmin time :) Either way I was pleased with my race - this will be a great kick start into my training for Portland. I have decided to continue this blog to talk about my marathon training.


This isn't my first marathon so my blogging may be of a different tone, but I think it will be fun to write the dirty truths of running - I have a lot of humorous stories to tell you about marathon training and the 'bandits' that take over your body during a 18 mile run... hehe! Ultimately, I would like to qualify for the Boston Marathon this year. The time I have to run Portland in to do this is 3hrs 40mins (approx 8min 20sec avg min/mile). This is definitely doable for me... even with just moderate training. Boston is considered the "average person's Olympics". There is a prestige and pride factor to qualifying for and running the Boston Marathon. Many attempt and fail to qualify ( I think they say only approx 3 % of marathoners qualify for the Boston Marathon). So as you can see there is a mystique and lure to accomplish this. Well, I guess that is only true if you are a crazy ass goal setter like I am (again, question posed in an earlier post ~ what is wrong with me?!?!?)

My running this week is only 2-recovery runs, 3-'easy' runs, and a long run (I will probably try and get in 8-10 miles this week depending on how the body is feeling). So... this begins the quest for Boston!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I have been athletic ALL of my life, I think at this point it would be safe to say its in my DNA. I have played many competitive sports (volleyball, basketball, track), have played recreationally (soccer, softball) and have been working out since I was in 4th grade. I started lifting in 7th grade - yes, was even starting to learn the full on olympic lifts. I now enjoy running, hiking, skiing, hangin out at the lake and just being active. I have run a couple of marathons, and recently competed in my first figure show. I am not sure what the future holds for me with regards to my "exercise adventures" but I look forward to finding out...