Death by Drop-Set

Productive day... checked off the list! Today I had a killa workout, the legs seem to have loosened up some and my new strength workout gave me a good butt kickin. Here is what was on the agenda today:

  • 4 mile run, pace was good... approx 8:20 min/miles

Here's were the pain and suffering occurred, my CRAZY strength workout:

  • Shoulder Press (25lbs, 20lbs, 15lbs - 10reps each, 4 sets)
  • Lat Raise (15lbs, 10lbs, 5lbs - 10 reps each, 4 sets)
  • Rear Delt Row (30lbs - 10 reps, 4 sets)
  • Front Shoulder Press (25lbs, 15lbs, 10lbs - 10 reps each, 4 sets)
  • Assisted Pullups (wide, regular, close, under - 10 reps each, 4 sets... yes that's 40 pullups per set!)
  • Bent Over Row (30lbs, 25lbs, 20lbs - 10 reps each, 4 sets)
  • Wide Grip Row (100lbs, 80lbs, 60lbs - 10 reps each, 4 sets)

Yes, if you count that up is was a total of 790 reps... CRAZY high volume. The purpose of drop sets is that you go back to back to back with no rest. So you do 30-40 reps with no rest but still while dropping the weights. It was a hard workout, but even with that high of volume it didn't take me that long at all. The rest periods are essentially non-existent so it goes very quickly. I stole this workout from a magazine and will probably adapt a few things. These are the types of strength workouts I am shooting for three times a week (different body parts though). I will also add Pilates one or two times per week and that should compliment my running. My diet was also 'on point' today, thus contributing to my goal of improving performance... fingers crossed this habit continues.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I have been athletic ALL of my life, I think at this point it would be safe to say its in my DNA. I have played many competitive sports (volleyball, basketball, track), have played recreationally (soccer, softball) and have been working out since I was in 4th grade. I started lifting in 7th grade - yes, was even starting to learn the full on olympic lifts. I now enjoy running, hiking, skiing, hangin out at the lake and just being active. I have run a couple of marathons, and recently competed in my first figure show. I am not sure what the future holds for me with regards to my "exercise adventures" but I look forward to finding out...