Cheat Meal Adventure

Last night TJ and I went out for dinner to a sushi restaurant, this was to be a 'cheat meal' for me. I ordered a cup of miso soup, seaweed salad and the "blackjack roll" (which consisted of albacore and spicy tuna, then topped with more albacore). When it arrived it was served in a very untraditional way for sushi - it was decorated and topped to look very extravagant and it was floating in about 3mm of a mysterious yellow colored sauce. Of course, this sauce caused me to spiral into a state of hysteria. I didn't know if this was an oil based sauce or something less harmful. I refused to touch it until the server could verify the makeup of this sauce (preferably by calories, carb and sugar count). She informed me it was Ponzu sauce (a type of citrus soy sauce). Whew! Thank goodness! I wasn't sure it I was going to be able to eat it otherwise! TJ ordered the "heart attack roll", sounds healthy, huh?!?! He also ordered some Pad Thai. The "heart attack roll arrived", it was deep fried peppers that were stuffed with gobs of cream cheese and spicy tuna all topped with a spicy mayo sauce... my reaction when it arrived was a gasp for air. OMG! How could he eat that?!?! My nutrition calculator almost overheated as I mentally calculated what he was consuming. Then onto the Pad Thai... well I think I was in a state of delerium because he started to resemble a snake swallowing a whole mouse as he ate the Pad Thai. I had to look away, I couldn't watch it! I explained to him that I am so sensitive, even to the sight of carbs that to watch someone consume a large amount obviously disturbs me in a great way.

I feel like trying to eat out is like navigating a landmine, you have to dodge all of the buried carb and sugar traps and no server, cook or restaurant owner can be trusted. Even though I made relatively good choices last night I woke up this morning feeling bloated from the sodium in the soy sauce - are you kidding me?!?!? Three weeks ago I would have just been getting started on my sodium intake for one meal with a tsp of soy sauce - what a different world I am living in now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I have been athletic ALL of my life, I think at this point it would be safe to say its in my DNA. I have played many competitive sports (volleyball, basketball, track), have played recreationally (soccer, softball) and have been working out since I was in 4th grade. I started lifting in 7th grade - yes, was even starting to learn the full on olympic lifts. I now enjoy running, hiking, skiing, hangin out at the lake and just being active. I have run a couple of marathons, and recently competed in my first figure show. I am not sure what the future holds for me with regards to my "exercise adventures" but I look forward to finding out...